Today Mirror80 turns 6! On August 15, 2010, the blog launched with a post about the return of ’80s design. Below I’m sharing a few favorite milestones. But first, cupcakes! I’m all about taking time to celebrate milestones, especially since time seems to speeding by the older I get. So today it’s all about being grateful for the past six years…
I can honestly say that there hasn’t been a time since I started Mirror80 that I haven’t been excited about what I’m writing next. What can I say? If you’re reading this, you probably agree that the 1980s are an endless mine of design inspiration. Am I right?! Here are some Mirror80 firsts and favorite posts (forgive the less-than-stellar photos in my early days of blogging ;-)…
- Mirror80’s first post ever
- An early post on iris and lily motifs – bring on the Deco!
- How the ’80s blinded us with science (or at least, a fabulous “scientific aesthetic“)
- A post on ’80s toy favorites
- Jennifer Keaton’s ever-evolving collection of ’80s sweaters
- An early Retro Foodie shoot featuring a Memphis-Milano menu
- How to find ’80s treasures at antique malls, thrift stores, garage sales and more…
- Rad Men: if Mad Men were set in the ’80s…
- How my childhood mall became a dead mall
- A Memphis-style totem photo shoot
*And for my all-time favorite posts, check out this roundup I created last year in honor of Mirror80’s 5th birthday.
(The flamingo swizzle stick in the photo above easily doubles as a cake topper. I purchased a pack of them from the Oh Happy Day Shop, and I will also be using them on a cake in the near future.)
Most importantly, I wish I could deliver a cupcake to each and every one of you. My favorite part of blogging has been connecting with this fabulous ’80s design community. I’m on the shy side when it comes to reaching out and collaborating with others, and to my surprise, my favorite part of blogging has been doing just that. If you haven’t yet, join our ’80s design group on Facebook. We share photos and cool finds, we make each other laugh, and we revel in our love of ’80s style.
Thank you for reading, for writing in, for your kind words, and for your continued support of Mirror80. <3 <3 <3 Kate