Hi Everyone! Happy Friday–it’s been a looooong week! I’m looking forward to a good, productive weekend with some doses of ’80s fun thrown in the mix. From the latest ’80s happenings to ways to incorporate the decade’s style into your wardrobe and home, read on for some tips and tidbits…
MY WEEKEND AGENDA:
1. Order VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV’s First Wave. Yes, the very first MTV VJs have written a book about the early days of music television. I can’t wait to read this, and I’m ordering it stat. Watch a Today Show interview with Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter and Mark Goodman here, then order the book from Amazon.com. [Book cover image above from USA Today]
2. Gather some chrome accent ideas for my new kitchen. OK, well it’s not a new kitchen. But it’s new to me–I’m moving in a month, and my new culinary space has some ’80s highlights like warm tones and a picture window for plants. I’m thinking the room is the perfect backdrop for 1980s details like grid wall paneling (shown above, from ERS Shopfittings UK) and greenery in a metallic planter.
3. Finalize my pendant light plans for the dining room. Yes, the dining room in the new place is wired for a pendant light. And many of you know that finding the right one has been a bit of a saga. I thought I’d found it–but today I discovered it was too small for the space. Time to return it and purchase another option. Now if only I could hunt down a retro find like the ribbed dome lights at the top of the montage above. [Image from The Decorating Book by Mary Gilliatt]
4. Catch up on my online shopping. I can’t tell you how many reasonably priced ’80s geometric jewelry finds have hit the boutiques this spring. We’re talking amazing pieces that channel ’80s style in a wonderfully updated way. I’m on a budget, but I’d love to pick out one thing that represents this season’s finest. Like the Melbourne Geo Necklace from Urban Outfitters, on sale for $9.99 (shown in the montage above)!!!
5. Play some ’80s tunes while I work on DIY projects for the new place. I have a list of ways to breathe new life into some old pieces, like my rusty patio chairs that have been in the rain one too many times. Yes, it’s time to grab the spray paint! No harm in listening to some music from my favorite decade while I get to work… One of my all-time faves: Howard Jones. Did you know that he’s part of this summer’s Regeneration Tour, along with A Flock of Seagulls, Erasure’s Andy Bell, Information Society, Men Without Hats, and Naked Eyes? Above we see a screen shot from the video for Jones’ classic “Like to Get to Know You Well.”
Have an awesome weekend!