Today Mirror80 features one of my favorite all-time songs: “Touch and Go” by The Cars. I grew up listening to the cars but was a bit young when this little ditty came out. By the close of the ’80s I was much more familiar with The Cars’ uptempo hits, so you can imagine how delighted I was to come across this edgier track off their more experimental album Panorama from 1980. This video, a performance that aired on the ABC show Fridays, does not disappoint. Neither does the black and white wardrobe of the band members!
In case you need other reasons to love this video, here are a few:
- The polka dot light-infused set
- Some killer guitar, bass and synth playing, not to mention an unusual drum beat
- Keyboardist Greg Hawkes’ striped shirt
- Ric Ocasek’s New Wave jacket
- A stage full of band members truly enjoying performing