Today we begin our new series called Last Sips of Summer. Over the next couple of weeks, we’ll be creating a trio of delicious sips that celebrate the essence of the warmest season. Because the official first day of fall this year isn’t until September 23rd. Need another reason to savor the summer? How about our first drink: The Mint Flamingo…
Today’s Last Sip of Summer is a delicious dessert drink with a minty flavor. This recipe serves one, but you can easily double it if you’re sharing with a friend.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 oz crème de menthe (green)
- sugar sprinkles
- mint for garnishing
- flamingo stirrer
- Combine the ice cream, milk and crème de menthe in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste the mixture and add ingredients as needed. I used the measurements above and didn’t end up adding anything, but you can add more ice cream for a thicker shake, or more crème de menthe to heighten the shade of green (and enjoy a stronger kick).
- Pour some sugar sprinkles onto a plate. Wet the rim of your glass, and then dip it in the sprinkles.
- Pour the mixture into the glass, and add the flamingo stirrer and the mint.
I found the flamingo stirrers at my local party supply store, but you can also order them online from retailers like this one. Not to mention, note that crème de menthe comes in colorless and green versions. Green will give this drink it’s signature hue–as refreshing as a summer night in Miami! Later this week we’ll concoct a sparkling mocktail just in time for Labor Day weekend. Enjoy!